Thread: Dallas PD guns
View Single Post

Old 02-17-2015, 01:17 AM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,157 Times in 7,409 Posts

I still live here and apart from military service for four years, have since before the JFK event. Indeed, I was home on leave from the USAF when that happened, and had helped to guard Kennedy the previous June at the AF Academy, where he delivered the commencement address.

Now I see mainly SIG-Sauers, mostly P-226's, some P-228's. I've heard that some women officers have P-225's, but haven't seen one. A SWAT officer had a P229 in .357 SIG.

The few revolvers seen are mainly Model 64's used by officers whose apparent backgrounds, including some ethnic aspects that I can't discuss here, suggest that they are not very gun-knowledgeable. I think they got them cheap from retiring officers or otherwise got them because they aren't sophisticated or interested enough in guns to carry autos. The city security officers in places like public libraries also have those.

But I suspect that some officers whom I haven't seen still wear revolvers, probably mainly Model 66's.

A suburban detective whom I met years ago told me that he bought a Glock (Model 19?) because he was following an Asian gang when it dawned on him that his five-shot .38 S&W (Special) snub might not suffice if they attacked. I believe that .38 snubs, mainly S&W, are still authorized for off duty use. Rugers have never been authorized. Colts once were.

I talked to one older uniformed cop who wore a Beretta M-92FS Inox. He liked it and it was grandfathered-in when the force switched officially to SIG's. Officers buy their own pistols, but get a price break if they buy through the dept .

I don't know what suburban departments or Ft. Worth use. Texas Rangers probably retain wide choice, but the Highway Patrol has SIG P-226's in .357 SIG. I gather that they're very effective.

And the detective mentioned told me that he'd followed up on some DPD shootings that involved Winchester 145 grain Silvertip .357 ammo fired from four-inch barrels. He said that load was devastating on humans.

When the Model 64 was std., one officer used his with the issued lead HP ammo to kill six felons. That gave me considerable confidence in that ammo.

Last edited by Texas Star; 02-17-2015 at 02:57 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: