View Single Post

Old 02-27-2015, 06:00 PM

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Bought a used Mod. 351PD .22 Magnum last year, which came with a Hogue Monogrip already installed. I removed the Hogue grip because it would catch the material of shirts I wore, and "print" because of that rise in material. It felt good when shooting, but was a bit of overkill regarding control of the piece, since it is only a .22 Magnum, not a .357 Magnum. I installed generic J-frame laminated grips, which were shorter than the Hogue grip, and didn't catch my clothing and give away the fact I carried concealed.

Have a Hogue grip glove for an I.O. Inc. "Hellcat" .380 semi-auto, which is a Ruger LCP clone. The Hogue grip was intended for the Ruger LCP, but I had to make some adjustments for it to fit my pistol. It greatly helps with felt recoil in that light, skinny pistol with a square-shaped backstrap that digs into the web of the hand. Also helps fill my hand when I draw the piece. I plan to keep it.

Also have a used Mod. 13-2 bull barrel, square-butt K-frame .357 Magnum which came with Pachmayr grips installed. Wonderful control and recoil management regardless of bullet weight fired out of it. A few years later, I got a hankering for a newer set of Pachs for it, and bought a clamshell grip with finger ridges on the front strap. Was somewhat disappointed with the poor fit of the newer Pachmayr grip even though it was specifically made for K-frame square-butt S&W revolvers. The grip itself was also much "skinnier" or thinner than the old one, with gaps where the clamshell didn't close completely when the retention screw was tightened. It didn't "fill my hand" the way the old Pachs did. However, there was no loss in accuracy due to the sloppier fit.

Also own another "brand" of revolver, a Rossi 461-02 round-butt K-sized .357 Magnum 2" snubby, which came with Rossi rubberized grips that seemed long (as the Hogue grip was on the 351PD), so I sought and bought a Pachmayr clamshell for it. The Rossi Pachmayr grip is different from the ones for S&W handguns because the pin at the bottom of the grip frame is not a thin pin, but a button on each side 1/4" in diameter. The Pachmayr grip still has a gap at the frontstrap, but it feels better in my hand and helps me get "on target" almost instinctively.

Must mention that I have a Pachmayr grip glove (?) which is on my Beretta BU9 Nano. It has a finger ridge on the frontstrap and help fill my hand as well.

Both brands of grips on all my pieces work well. There is sufficient room on revolvers to allow easy use of speed loaders. I've noted no interference with magazine release buttons or seating magazines in the wells of my outfitted semi-autos.

Last edited by OldGyrene; 02-27-2015 at 06:54 PM.