Thread: S&W's in "45"
View Single Post

Old 03-06-2015, 08:40 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 14,080 Times in 4,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE450No2 View Post
...So here is my question, IF you do not shoot 45 Colt Single Action Army's, and you are not a 1911 shooter in 45 ACP, which S&W in "45" would you pick, and why???...
I got my first S&W M25 in the late 70s or early 80s. At that time I did have a couple of SAA clones in 45 long Colt but the S&W I chose was a 25-2. I was shooting competition at the time and the larger holes in the target would sometimes grant me a better score. At some point I picked up a M25-5 and liked it. However, it remains the sole 45 long Colt I have with the S&W logo on it.
Like Dave T, I was fond of the idea of a 4" skinny barreled 45 ACP S&W and could not afford one of the earlier specimens. At that time S&W had not even thought of the Mountain Series, so I sent a 4" M28-2 barrel off to be bored and rifled to .452. When it returned, I fitted a 25-2 cylinder to the M28-2 and also a new frame lug. I rounded the grip frame and had a great revolver. I carried it on duty until political pressure had me retire it in favor of the issued M19. Since then, I have acquired a M22-4 and believe it to be the ideal 45 ACP revolver for a LEO role.

So, to answer your question, I did pick the 45 ACP and have continued to do so. The ACP cartridge combines the power and diameter I need in an easily carried revolver.

Kevin