View Single Post

Old 03-09-2015, 01:45 AM

Liked 75 Times in 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cants View Post
Update:
Freefloat arrived and installed, along with said parts.

Different scope installed (S&B 3-12) and range test completed today.

Was going very well (consistent 1" groups @ 100m) using 42gr AR2208 with Amax 168gr. OAL of 3.196" using the Hornady .308 comparator (which is 1" long), so 2.196" is to the ogive.
Handloads use a smidge of crimp.

A friend let me try 5 shots of Australian Outback 168gr ammo - also just under 1" group.

Being thorough I removed the crimp and reset AOL. WOW 2.5" group.

Now I've got to find my crimp factor and retest, seems 1" is it - still not bad. Guess I was over hopeful to get 0.5"

I've also now polished the ramp fed as I noticed scratching on the projectiles. I've removed the extractor and cycled and now only get extraction marks. Some judicious tweaking of lugs should remove these.

Hey up lad, good to hear from you. Well at least you are getting consistent 1" groups from the skinny thing! Funny that relieving the crimp caused them to go off? That seems counter to me?

I am still plodding along. Seems there may still be hope as it seems I actually got down to a 1.5 group with the 168 Fed GMM open tip bullet, and the standard American Eagle 168 OTM was not far behind. The only Amax I had was the Superformance in 150gr and it did not fare as well.

I now have some 168 amax from a couple different reloading sources to try, as well as some of the Aussie Outback 165 game stuff. We shall see?

Oh,BTW, I gotta keep telling myself it aint no bolt gun!!!!!!!!