View Single Post

Old 03-19-2015, 07:42 AM
US Veteran

Liked 1,693 Times in 530 Posts

Another "get both" vote, but we all know that isn't alway practical.

I've knuckled under and now own both (don't tell my wife)... Both of mine are "no lock" versions --- 642-1 & 640-1 Pro Series.

The 642 has a unique role in my carry rotation. With it's light weight and small size it is my only true pocket handgun. I can pocket carry it in almost any pocket at any time with little regard to belt type or type of pants/shorts. With +P ammo this little 38 stings my hands and definately isn't an "all afternoon range gun". The slick, hard Altmont boot grips don't help much with recoil, but they make for a snag-free extraction from deep in my pocket.

My 640 is in a blurred rotation role. With its weight I have regulated it to belt carry. Logic would say if I'm carrying 23ish ounces on my belt, why not carry the same weight in a plastic gun with three times the ammo and quicker reloads? Good point, but I'm hard-headed and sometimes I just want to carry a wheel gun. Since my 640 J frame is smaller and lighter than my K frames, the 640 gets the "on the belt wheel gun" nod.

I find 357 magnum rounds in my 640 are manageable, but some loadings are quite a handful. When firing 357s I get some extra velocity, quite a bit more recoil & blast, and my hand disappears in a fireball when I touch it off. Because of this I generally carry my 640 with 38 +P.

Some would ask, If I'm electing to carry my 640 with 38 +P ammo why not carry the much lighter 642? Good question... I do like the 357 Magnum option the 640 provides for those times I want the extra power such as in the woods. This versatility, along with a more pleasurable range time with 38 practice rounds are some of the benefits of an all steel J frame.

You will need to determine which role you are trying to fill when you purchase this next J frame. The problem is, before it is over you will likely want (read: NEED) both!

Let us know which you pick.

Edmo