View Single Post

Old 04-05-2015, 06:28 PM

Liked 26,755 Times in 9,253 Posts

I'm down to 3 or 4 single stage presses and kept one like yours as an auxillery. My most used scale is a 5-0-5 and wish I had a 10-10. I learned to reload with a Lyman 55. The Bench Rest guys use powder measures that cost several times what a 55 does but the results are marginally better. Harry Pope, towards the end of his life, shot remarkable 200 shot groups with all loads coming from his Lyman 50 (same mechanism with cast iron hopper) all loaded in the same piece of 32-40 brass, Shutzen style! I load with a Redding BR-30, and longed. for that old Lyman 55, so I finally broke down and bought one in the Black Powder version. That little flapper thing on the front is called the "HAMMER" and when making tiny loads of flake powder, you flick it once or twice to get all the powder out, It is one of the only measures you can load 32 short and 25 ACP with, and still load 458 Win Mag too.

I have no idea how the dies and shell plates worked out, but between the to presses you are able to make some good ammo! Ivan