View Single Post

Old 04-17-2015, 05:11 AM
US Veteran

Liked 1,693 Times in 530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macinaw View Post
You are saying I hope it "holds" this time. Does that mean that it will become "clocked" with use? Is that what happened the first time?
I'm no S&W gunsmith or barrel installation expert, but after talking to a couple of local S&W gunsmiths this is what I understand as my gun's problem.

The barrel is threaded into the frame and is intended to snug up tight just as it becomes straight. Additionally, the rifling keeps the barrel tight by attempting to torque it in the correct direction every time you fire it.

Having said that, my barrel was originally tightened a smidge too far. This resulted in the front sight being too far to the left as viewed by the shooter.

I sent it back to S&W and to align the barrel they had to slightly loosen the barrel. Over the 8 months I've owned and fired it, the barrel was repeatedly torqued as bullets twisted through the rifling. This tightened the barrel back to the canted position.

For those who understand the barrel installation process, is this correct? Again, this is what was explained to me by two different gunsmiths so I assume it is my issue. The bottom line is I hope it is fixed.

We will see how the new barrel alignment holds up.

Edmo

Last edited by Edmo; 04-17-2015 at 05:14 AM.