View Single Post

Old 04-18-2015, 06:26 PM
US Veteran

Liked 14,219 Times in 4,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjpetracca View Post
I am a little confused by the following product numbers: 170030 which is listed in the SCSW as the Shorty9 and 170067 which is listed as 9mm Compact. The photos in post 10 and 15 agree with the SCSW. Is it being stated that they are used somewhat interchangeably in the different runs and that some Shorty 9's are not marked as such?

Also the 9mm Recon has not been mentioned. As far as I can discern, it is identical to the Shorty 9, but with a fixed rear sight. They were numbered in the NRCxxxx series. They were marketed by RSR. Any idea as to how many were produced.
CJ, I don't think the two product codes for the Shorty 9's are used interchangeably. 170030 is for the 5906 PC-9, and 170067 is for the Shorty 9 Mk III. The SCSW was wrong about the Mk III's product number. The only thing that's curious is that so many of the Mk III examples don't have "Shorty9mm" marked on the right front of the slide. Was it a too-easily removed marking, or was it left off some of them at the factory, or was there some variation within the MkIII production run? I don't know.

What is clear is that the Shorty 9 -- the subject of the thread, since the 9 Recon was a different and several-years-later gun, though quite similar -- can be easily recognized by the rear sight from the factory.

The duo-toned 5906 PC-9 guns had fixed Novak sights from the factory, and the duo-toned Shorty 9 Mk III's had adjustable rear sights. Other differences in the guns are there, but less obvious unless photos can be examined closely.

The SCSW says the duo-toned 9 Recon was produced in 1999-2000 for RSR as an "enhanced" Shorty 9, and can easily be recognized by its "9 Recon" billboard and Hogue wraparound grips. It has a serial number of REC and product code 170140. I don't have any production numbers on them, but here's a picture that shows there were at least 164. (click to enlarge) And a dean of this Forum, Grinder, has reported in the past seeing up to #204.

Model 9 Recon NRC 0164.jpg

Last edited by vigil617; 04-18-2015 at 07:05 PM.