View Single Post

Old 04-23-2015, 02:37 PM

Liked 736 Times in 398 Posts

A MagnetoSpeed is an outstanding choice IF you can attach it to your firearm (eg rifle, shotgun, most longer barreled revolvers, pistols with rails, etc). It does not require a cease fire to set up. It works in any light including no light and works in any weather. It is almost impossible to shoot a MagnetoSpeed

The only other "con" about it is it is most likely to change your (rifle's) POI. So while developing a load most of us make extra rounds to measure velocity.

I have a CED M2 and a MagnetoSpeed. Both are fine chronos. But I haven't hauled out the M2 in a couple of years now.

You can talk about accuracy, buy once cry once, all the rest . . . but optical chronos are a PITA to use. They require hauling tripod(s) to the range, a cease-fire to set up, a second cease fire to adjust, and many indoor ranges won't allow you a few yards down range in the first place. Many chronos require special lighting indoors, they don't work well out beyond the shed when its raining . . . etc.

Personally, I am waiting (hoping) that the new Labradar will actually come out and actually work. This radar device sits alongside you at the bench, doesn't require light at all, and doesn't attach to the firearm in any way.

The Oehler is great, the gold standard for optical chronos. Unfortunately, the 14.4k baud modem was once top of the line too.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: