View Single Post

Old 04-24-2015, 11:18 PM

Liked 3,961 Times in 1,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Quartzsite View Post
When I get around to cleaning my AR I spend no more than 20 minutes. I use a Hoppes Bore snake with Hoppes 9 solvent down the barrel, wipe off the bolt carrier, bolt, and gas block with Hoppes 9 on a rag, brush the breech face with a nylon brush and Hoppes 9, lube with FP-10 and I'm done. No scraping, no hard brushing and no mess.

No other tools required. Did I mention mine is a piston AR???
I do the same with my DI AR-15's now that I installed Nickel Boron (NiBx) treated BCG's. Even though the DI system poops where it eats, I just wipe the carbon fouling off the NiBX bolt and carrier. Since the NiBx is lubricious, I don't have to lube the BCG. No lube = nothing to catch the fouling.

Want to make a direct gas impingement AR-15 a breeze to clean? NiBx BCG is the way to go. If you want to just make cleaning the bolt easier, go buy a NiBX treated bolt.

EDIT 4-25-2015 8:00pm CST:

Went to the range today. Shot around 200 rounds from my home built AR-15 that is equipped with a NiBx BCG. I ran the bolt dry. I put a few drops of oil on a patch and wiped the BCG rails and the underside where the hammer contacts when it's reset. That's it. The AR ran perfect. Cleanup was fast.
  1. Field strip AR. Separate upper from lower.
  2. Inspect lower. Turn it upside down and shake. Gave it a quick wipe.
  3. With a dry rag, I wiped the Bolt carrier.
  4. With a dry patch, I wiped the cylinder in which the bolt rides.
  5. With a dry rag, I wiped the bolt.
  6. Chamber brush + solvent. Swab out chamber.
  7. Bore Snake + CLP. 3 passes.
  8. Wipe charging handle.
  9. Quick wipe of the upper.

That's it. That NiBx Bolt Carrier ameliorates the issue of the AR-15 pooping where it eats.

Last edited by JaPes; 04-25-2015 at 08:57 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: