View Single Post

Old 04-27-2015, 02:03 PM

Liked 230 Times in 112 Posts
Default Should I use these? Too much for plated?

I wanted some stout loads for a pre-27 3 1/2" that had just arrived. I loaded some .357 cases with a 158 grain Remington JHP & 14.8 gr of 2400, CCI 500 primer. Speer book says 1,265 out of a 6" barrel. I had prepared 250 cases, and ran low on the Remington bullet. I substituted a Rainier 158 gr. plated HP for the last 100 of the cartridges.

When I started shooting the plated bullets I discovered that I was spitting jacket fragments out the left side. My son dropped the revolver off at the gunsmith thinking the new to me gun was out of time, even though it seemed fine to me. The gunsmith said timing was perfect, and everything is OK.
He thought that I had used too heavy of a crimp, but he did not know they were plated bullets.

So, even though Rainier says jacketed bullet loading info. is fine, and just to use a slight roll crimp, which I did, it appears as if I may have gone over the "limit" with their plated bullets. I have never had a problem of any kind with their bullets using jacketed info, but I had never shot any this stout.

I have never ran into this before. Would you shoot the remaining bullets, or pull them???? I do have a Marlin I could shoot them in instead of a revolver.