View Single Post

Old 04-27-2015, 05:34 PM

Liked 3,927 Times in 2,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboxer View Post
I agree with nearly all you said in previous posts, and some of the quoted post. But . . .

While the Dillon and Hornady are closer in price when the case feeder is considered, it's also fair to point out that the more calibers you reload the more expensive the Dillon becomes vs the Hornady.

The bushing system eliminates any slop (upward tilt/shift on ram-up) in the tool head on the Hornady. While they are an added cost they contribute to keeping the cost of changeover parts lower than on the 650.

And I've never had any "come loose". OTOH all parts inserted and removed eventually do wear something or other out.

Both are good presses, have their quirks, priming is ALWAYS the weakest spot, and their customer service and warranties are comparable.
Yes there is a sightly higher cst for conv, but I get superior priming IMO & I prefer the tool head, it never comes loose. The bushings are a weak link, they do come loose, so much so Hornady will provide you shims.
Changing calibers on a 650 is just swapping the tool head, not 4 diff bushings. Yes swapping powder measures requires about a minute longer. Again, no case feeder, I would probably go LNL.
Btw, for those wanting a bullet feeder, the Hornady is a distant 3rd; mr bullet or RCBS, quieter & reliable.

Last edited by fredj338; 04-27-2015 at 05:35 PM.