View Single Post

Old 05-04-2015, 08:59 PM

Liked 90 Times in 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith Wesson View Post
what are some things i need to look / lookout for.... when buying a used gun... or should i just save up for the new....
YES … but …
Biggest watch out from my perspective is the ridiculous prices people are asking and getting paid for a used gun that is still in current production. I start out that I will pay a private seller 75% of the lowest current new at retail, not MSRP, not including tax, and including new gun internet prices that I can find, for a moderately used gun in average condition. Then +/- from there. Discount any additions for mods to 50% (or subtract if there are mods that I think will decrease value), and at least 50% discount any accessories like holsters or extra mags, or just expect them as throw ins. I will only go 80% for a lightly used gun in excellent condition.

I won't go 85% or more, because then I might as well buy new and avoid potential risks.

Sadly, I see people asking and getting close to the same price locally used as you can find the gun new for on the internet like at Bud's.

Also, I end up trying to buy from the original owner of the gun more often as they know the history, age, a guess on round count, etc. if they will share that info, and most local sellers have shared with me. I take "works perfectly" with a grain of salt of course. I've bought 3 semi's used. One has been flawless, one very good with only bad mag followers … a simple fix, and one ended up back at the factory but has been great since.

Last edited by Ron AZ; 05-04-2015 at 09:18 PM.