View Single Post

Old 05-05-2015, 12:21 AM

Liked 75 Times in 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cants View Post
Been shooting weekend before last and what a load.

As above on old NRA range (300 feet). 2 sighters then 10'shots. 4V Bulls, 4 bulls and 2 4 pointers.

Happy
Good to hear from you, but I have no idea how this is scored, but it sounds good!

Thanks to your sorry ***, and the fact I have not been able to hit anything much with my gun, I have drug my reloading press out of its 25-30 years of storage!

I got things going, got a few new bits to go with it all including a digital powder scale and a new powder measure for rifle.

I had run a few batches of 9mm to feed my hungry CZ pistols(if you do not have a P07 or 09, you want one!) in the prior weeks, then got the .308 full length resize setup going and I chose commercial brass to start because I did not have a primer pocket ream at the time.

I had previously purchased some 168 Sierra 168 HP match bullets, but my tests with the Federal factory ammo and the gold metal match using that bullet were not grand, at 1.5-2.0 in range(moa) and I had done somewhat better it seemed with the reman 168 Amax I had purchased, so I bought a box of them bullets. And this is where I began.

I loaded 15 rounds in groups of 5, starting low, yet a fairly large spread, using Reloader 15 and the Amax 168. No crimp. 2.8 oal.

39gr
41gr
43gr

Took the other reman ammo from 2 others to compare.

It was late in the day and I only had about 45 min. to setup and test. Mosquitos coming out!

Ran the reman stuff first for a warm-up, 5 ea., no surprises, at 2 in groups or possibly a bit better with one.

In with the 39gr and it did as well as the others, possibly more.

In with the 41gr and the first two were side by side. On the third round I hade a mosquito bite me on the neck as I made the pull, and I do not know where that round went into the already shot target I was using for tests, forget it!

Ok, back to it, round 4 and 5 left me with a 4 leaf clover into an inch. WoW!

The 43 was no more or less impressive than the 39. So I will work from there it seems.

42 this will be my next test group to possibly find the node!

I had not previously measured case length(dummy) as was first run brass, but I did after the test and these things are running really long at 2.060-2.075 as compared to the 2.015 spec. Case trimmer ordered!

Why are you trimming to 2.0? Is there a reason for that?

Mind you, I am not going for 1000 meter perfection here, but I would like to hit something at 2-300, as them long range guys get too carried away with things in my practical range!

Last edited by copemech; 05-05-2015 at 12:36 AM.