View Single Post

Old 05-06-2015, 01:27 PM

Liked 29,290 Times in 13,848 Posts
Default At least to me.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank46 View Post
I had some Lapua 6.5x55 ammo and since this was about the time the moly craze was in full swing decided to try something. At the junction of the case neck where the bullet was seated I put a small amount of moly paste around the bullet at that location. Velocity increase was exactly 25 feet per second. After I had satisfied myself that maybe there was something to be gained I discontinued it. In the now defunct magazine Precision Shooting there was an article regarding loading the 155 grain sierra palma bullet. Seems you had to load this bullet fairly hot and hot weather compounded the problem. It was found that moly coating gave increased velocities but with lower pressures. Sometimes accuracy fell off due to this so the answer to that problem was more powder to get the accuracy back. Sort of a dog chasing it's tail kind of thing. There are a bunch of moly products on the market. 3M markets moly assembly paste, powdered moly and so forth. I gave away some of the powdered moly to a friend who made a cast bullet lube with it. Like the old cast iron frying pans he found that the barrel had to be seasoned with it to get good accuracy. Now its rare that you hear anyone even mentioning it. Frank
At least to me, this makes perfect sense. Just the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks.

PS: And I'm way past wanting to use moly. But this always bothered me and it did come up recently on another thread. THANK YOU.