Thread: external safety
View Single Post

Old 05-12-2015, 01:29 PM

Liked 70 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kado3 View Post
Hi guys I just need some help I live here in SoCal. our M&P edition did not have a external safety i was wondering if it is possible to put one on it? Is there an after market product I can get to convert it to the one with "Thumb safety"? It would be very nice if anybody can point me to the right direction Thank you!
How old is your gun? I'd say the best way to add the safety would be to install the new design sear housing (the assembly that holds the rear frame rails, the sear, the sear disconnect lever, etc). This new design sear housing has the provision for the manual safety integral to the design. With the new sear housing, you can simply include the manual safety levers with it (or not if one doesn't want them).

The safety levers will require modification to the frame: you'll have to provide the cut-outs that are present in new models (and plugged with No Thumb Safety models). I imagine this could be done pretty easily with careful work with a dremel tool and some light files/abrasive paper (with the sear housing removed).
The Following User Likes This Post: