Thread: Practice w/EDC
View Single Post

Old 05-15-2015, 12:11 AM

Liked 12,802 Times in 4,228 Posts

Because of limited resources, I use some interesting training ideas that I've picked up along the way.

My range doesn't allow shooting at multiple targets so I'll use either 3"x5" or 4"x6" adhesive mailing labels at different heights across my target.

I like to use 8.5"x11" sheets of paper, especially when I'm working on speed.

Negative targets can also be useful from time to time. I cut out a 8.5"x11" hole in the COM area of a silhouette target. Get the rounds in the hole. It keeps me from trying to look for bullet holes in the target as I'm shooting. I first read about this idea from Michael DeBethencourt's website.

I recently shot at a range with programmable turning targets which was a great exercise in reaction shooting, especially since I don't have a shot timer.

Sometimes I do squats before firing a sequence to get my heart and respiration rate up. I considered doing push-ups, but (1) I don't want to freak out the range officers by lying on the ground and (2) they might not appreciate where the muzzle of my holstered gun would end up pointing.

I try to move "off the x" when drawing at the range, but the lane dividers limit that option.

I always try to do some strong-hand-only shooting, especially when drawing at close range. I don't do as much weak-hand-only shooting as I should, though.

I also work in some reloading because JHP are a little more difficult to reload than FMJ-profile dummy rounds.

Everything else I do at home using dummy rounds and dry-fire practice. I've practiced falling down and drawing my gun then getting back up. I practice some basic empty-hand techniques to create space so I can draw. I practice reloading techniques in awkward positions (ever tried fishing a speed strip out of your pocket while crouching behind low cover?).

If you want to have some real fun, try doing weak-hand-only reloads with a snub and dummy rounds.

Whenever I practice something, I try to visualize a scenario and respond accordingly. Some scenarios end up with me not having to fire.

I should note that I don't do everything mentioned every time. Most of my time is spent getting my gun out quickly and getting rounds on target. But I try to work in other skills periodically.

Edit: I guess I should mention that I do all this with the 642 I carry.

Last edited by ContinentalOp; 05-15-2015 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention what my EDC gun is.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: