View Single Post

Old 05-23-2015, 01:29 PM

Liked 9,352 Times in 3,736 Posts

There are some crossed wires here with regard to communication.

First, the OP qualified it with the requirement of time to do so.

Second, he's talking about good quality electronic ear pro (like my Sordins) that will both muffle loud noises and amplify lower stuff. I can tell you that they work great for that. I used to carry mine in the trunk of the patrol car in my helmet for active shooter situations and the like. Only needed the helmet once, but it was priceless. The ear pro could also be connected pretty easily to my portable radio, so I could hear it better in loud conditions. (I always wore an earpiece of course.) Only used the Sordins once (off duty job at a race track) and again; priceless.

Third, home protection, like most other circumstances, should be built on layers and a reasonable risk assessment. We have a big fence with padlocked gates that would delay an intruder, and coming over it would make noise. Even getting near it would likely make enough noise to awaken the dogs. I am not likely to hear anything other than the 121 pounds of black furry hate and his 62 pound sister (if my wife is with me) raising a lot of hell. I am also not likely to get to an intruder who is fool enough to keep coming after hearing the dogs before Bozo does, and then all I am going hear is screaming as large chunks of flesh get ripped off the offender.

I am most likely to go for the AR first if I can; it has a light (Surefire Px3, of course) and RDS (Aimpoint, of course) mounted and is most appropriate for fighting. That said, the first goal is to make sure the intrusion is as unlikely and unappealing as possible. That will do more to save lives (the ones that matter, not the offender), hearing, etc, than anything else.

Last edited by Doug M.; 05-23-2015 at 02:19 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: