View Single Post

Old 06-06-2015, 08:42 PM

Liked 4,973 Times in 1,726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ductapeman View Post
I'm late to this party also-- I just got back from the Elmer Keith Shoot, where I ran some old PMC hollow-point loads from some years ago (box is marked "41A") which always treated me well and behaved well once again at the match, posting decently at 300 yards-- but now, after my third time to this match, I have been bitten hard and I'm looking to get the most accuracy out of my 5-1/2" 657 that I can. There is much good data in this thread and I will be trying some of these loads as soon as I can get my range dues re-upped so I can use the 300 yard rifle range for testing. My main question is, has anyone had good accuracy from the jacketed bullets, or is everyone just using the cast semi wads, which is what it sounds like? Seems like you could drive the jacketed slugs a bit hotter for flatter trajectories at the longer ranges, but if the cast slugs are doing as well as it seems, maybe I'm barking up a tree worrying about it . . . Anyway, thanks to everyone who has shared loads, and I'm going to try them all over the course of this summer and will be taking one to next year's Keith Shoot to try out on the 600 yard pipe.
First..where was the EK shoot?

As to jacketed vs. cast, both work just fine. I have never noticed a difference in accuracy when using 8.0 grains of Unique with cast, jacketed or plated. Those 200-500 yard shots in Idaho in 2013 were all Berry's plated bullets. I went back again in 2014 and shot the same gun and loads out to 780 yards. Velocity is 950 fps from a 4" barrel.

As to "shooting women" with loads using Unique...start with 6.0 grains and work up to 8.0...that will keep you in the 700-950 fps area. Try and find a caster who has light weight bullets in the 170-190 grain range...that will keep the recoil down.

Bob