View Single Post

Old 06-12-2015, 08:54 PM

Liked 285 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdown77 View Post
Today, I was shooting my new to me 686-1 for the third time since its purchase, and I was shooting a load with 15.0 grains of 2400 under a 158 gr. LSWC. Earlier in the week I shot about 25 of these without incident. Accuracy was decent, recoil was stout but manageable (I'm used to .44 mag).

Today, however, I had the cylinder lock up tight on me. From what I could see, it looked like the primer had flowed out around the firing pin strike enough to where it kept the cylinder from turning. With a little force, I got the cylinder open. I disassembled a few of the remaining rounds and weighed 15 grains.

My Lee reloading manual shows a max load of 15.3 grains. I've seen this in older Alliant data as well. However, their current data contains nothing for the 158 gr lead bullet. Their load data from 2005 shows only data for the 158 gr. JSP bullet, and lists a max of 14.0 grains.

Am I over the limit with this 15.0 grain load? I was seeing a decent amount of primer flow on the ejected casings, but case extraction was not sticky. I have not run these over the chronograph yet.

Locking up the gun was a bit worrisome. Never had that happen before.

Wow. At about 14.5 of 2400 is when it stars getting sticky in my Python of equal size and strength. I save 15 gr for n frame