View Single Post

Old 06-13-2015, 04:52 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 5,602 Times in 2,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens View Post
(T)hat Bo-Mar (hack install not withstanding) is simply LIGHT YEARS better than the train-wreck awful S&W OEM adjustable sight.

Those are horrendous. The guy who approved those factory adjustable sights -and- his boss should have been drop-kicked out of the back door of the plant.
I don't want to hijack 03Fatboy's thread or distract from BMCM's "mastery of the mill" (and quite a few other skills), but I am compelled to rise to the defense of the oft maligned S&W OEM adjustable rear sight aka, "big ears".
Sevens, my delicate sensibilities were also offended when I first laid eyes on an adj. sight 659 back in the early '80s. It seemed out of place on that otherwise sleek looking pistol.
I have come to learn the aforementioned "horrendous" adj. sight was developed for the suppressed "hush puppy" pistols in Vietnam (with even taller and more grotesque ears) because the earlier adjustable wasn't high enough to see over the suppressor.
So it is combat proven.
And it is rugged!! Those ears can take a beating. I've seen quite a few pistols that were dropped on their sights, and none fare so well as the S&W adjustable.
And it is adjustable!! If your pistol doesn't shoot where you want, a few clicks and POA and POI become inseparable.
I will admit that they are complicated with a bunch of small parts but so are the pistols to which they are attached.
Last but definitely not least, the S&W OEM adjustable rear sight was designed and patented by long time and prolific Smith & Wesson designer, Dwayne W. Charron. Please look him up. He had a very long and storied career.
I have come to love the sight on anything S&W with a four inch or longer barrel.
It may not be pretty, but it's the best darn adjustable sight for a serious combat pistol that I have ever seen.

BTW, 03Fatboy, did you consider lengthening the dovetail to accommodate the OEM Adjustable as a possible alternative thereby eliminating the necessity of the silver soldered "dutchman"?
Now back to the swarf!!

John

Link to a pdf of the original S&W adj. rear sight patent:
http://smith-wessonforum.com/attachm...5&d=1414117361

Last edited by JohnHL; 06-15-2015 at 06:13 PM.
The Following 10 Users Like Post: