View Single Post

Old 06-15-2015, 02:26 PM
Banned

Liked 147 Times in 71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobimaru View Post
If you don't want a gun, you shouldn't have one. Few things are more dangerous than an apathetic person behind the trigger.

While it may be your right to go purchase a new gun, load it up with ammo, throw it in a safe, and hope it saves your life when the times comes; I also think it's bad gun ownership. Practice with it, improve your shooting skills, make sure it's reliable, make sure it's clean, etc. These are all good ideas.

You can absolutely exercise your right to own and bear arms and be a BAD GUN OWNER.

I always think of a motorist who can't change a flat tire, can't change the oil, can't change a wiper blade, etc. Sure, he can legally operate that car and own it but hes' not really good at it!

Is it a requirement that someone who carries knows how to SAFELY clear a malfunction/jam with their weapon? No. Maybe grandma has the right to tote her .357 revolver, but no one ever showed her how to eject the shells and she can't even get the cylinder open. I feel like this kind of gun ownership is too prevalent and it gives a false assumption of safety. The gun is only going to work as well as the person behind it.

I guess my point is I believe all citizens should have the right to bear arms, and as armed citizens we also have the responsibility to educate and train ourselves. Exercising your right without responsibility, is bad gun ownership.
I've read plenty of stories of little old ladies and other novices neatly shooting daylight through their attackers. And plenty of stories of the "educated and trained" recklessly shooting themselves and others. If you notice the pattern of civilian encounters. Having a gun and being willing to use it is by far the most important thing to stopping attacks. Pinpoint precision, speedy reloads, etc rank way down the list.

Common sense alone can allow safe handling of guns, which is many people's complaint. And a little, or lot, of training isn't going to help an idiot be safe.