View Single Post

Old 06-16-2015, 07:04 AM

Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
Default Regulation Police Help

While I was at my LGS with my wife, the owner showed me an older hand ejector. It is chambered in .32 S&W Long, has what appears to be a 4.25" barrel per the measuring tape, the half-moon front sight, and a narrow fixed rear notch. The serial number is on the barrel flat by the ejection rod, on the chamber side of the cylinder, and on the front strap. It is 402xxx. The grips are wood, seem to be stepped midway at the rear of the frame, and have a patent marking on the bottom.

Am I correct that this is a .32 Regulation Police made sometime in the middle 1920s? If so, what is the value of the revolver as a shooter? It has some finish wear and minor pitting on the sideplate (I would say it is about a 65% gun) but mechanically has good lockup. The bore is bright and shiny. The action is a bit stuff which appears to be due to oil turning to lacquer, and it needs a good cleaning.

I figure this would make an excellent field revolver due to the light weight and the options available in .32 S&W and .32 S&W long handloads. I already load for the .32-20, so I have some 100-grain 0.312" bullets. I will need a set of .32 S&W dies and the brass. The dealer has some .32 S&W ammo, but no .32 S&W Long ammo. Any reason to not use 100-grain bullets in this revolver?