View Single Post

Old 06-24-2015, 11:40 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Question 686-5+ 2.5" to 4" barrel swap. Need info on the extractor assembly HELP!!!!!!

Hi everyone,

I have a 686-5+ 2.5", and I really want to change it over to the 4" barrel. I have a barrel in my crosshairs, but then I realized that the ejector rod is not full size on the 2.5" model. I have been having trouble finding the ejector rod, so I was thinking of just buying a full 6 shot assembly and harvesting the rod.

My question is: Will I need JUST the rod for the conversion to the 4" barrel? Or will I also need the 7 groove star piece that the rod attaches to. I'm not sure if that 7 groove star piece is universal, or if that too is shorter on the 2.5 inch model. If it is salvageable, what year(s) would be compatible with my gun?

Also, If there is no way to salvage just the rod, does anyone know where I can get the whole assembly for the 7 shot model? I called smith and Wesson and they have them on back order.

Thank you in advance, this rod has put a damper on my aspirations, and has become a pain in my ***.

Last edited by Irish Mathematician; 06-24-2015 at 11:53 PM.