View Single Post

Old 07-15-2015, 06:01 AM

Liked 7,779 Times in 2,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerriver View Post
John, not sure I'm fit to be any kind of guru but I do have a few Berns-Martins marked with patent numbers.Jack Berns was in Bremerton,Washington when he patented the design for the Berns-Martin holster & I've assumed(yes,I know what assumed means)that these early B-M holsters were made there before operations in Calhoun City began.An article by Elmer Keith in the June 1932 American Rifleman states that Berns & Martin were not going to patent their design-they subsequently did,of course.Keith gives an address in Bremerton to send orders to.Jack Berns filed for a patent on Sept. 6,1932 & patent number 2001321 was granted May 14,1935.
The patent number on this holster was granted to E.E. Clark on Sept. 13,1932-it shows the bottom band which is not a feature on the Berns-Martins I have from that time period.The holsters I have from that time period have both patent numbers on them.This holster,IMHO, is a very early Berns-Martin-early 1930's is my guess.The holsters shown in Keith's 1932 AR article are very much like the more common Berns-Martin holsters withouth the bottom band on the holster shown here.I first thought the band was an added repair-the basketweave pattern looks different,as does the border stamping-but maybe not.If you have too much time on your hands,as I clearly do this rainy Sunday,look up the patents.
Regards,
turnerriver
John Witty
SWCA # 1426
NRA Endowment Life member
Old thread, John, but thought you'd like to surmise with me that the marking of the Clark patent on early B-Ms, which also predated the Berns patent, is an indication that the latter took a license from the former; and likely under legal duress. Clark was a prolific inventor of holsters and patented them often. And perhaps he read the American Rifleman :-)