View Single Post

Old 07-15-2015, 03:19 PM

Liked 1,791 Times in 473 Posts

I found one just like yours, 1953 pre-27 with a 6-inch barrel, in a now out-of-business gun shop near me in down east Maine. Finish was quite poor at about 50%. It had an uneven, blotchy appearance, lots of holster wear, a network of fine scratches but no rust or pits. Looked like the extractor star had caught the left sideplate a few times during reloading. Mechanically excellent though. Like you I 'bought right" and had relatively little invested in it.

In my view, these guns are supposed to be pretty. There was no history to this gun, like having been owned by a local Sheriff or hero trooper or famous Maine Guide, etc. Wasn't owned or carried by a family member of mine. So I decided to have it redone.

S&W won't touch these any more. Bowen didn't want to do it (can't remember the reason why). Turnbull doesn't do Smiths.

A very talented gunsmith who is nationally known for double shotgun work summers here. He did an excellent job with it. The only real disadvantage to having it redone is that it really will be a shame to mess it up. Almost too nice. Almost.

A collector would never have wanted this gun in its original condition, at least not without some significant provenance. High condition museum quality sells, low does not.

The collector purpose my gun served when it was homely was so that those who already own high condition pre-27s could have a great deal of satisfaction concerning their pretty ones when compared to mine. What i had dome to this gun affects no one else's value in the slightest.

The only one I have to satisfy is me. And if I ever want to "make amends" and atone for my sin, I'll just have it engraved.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: