View Single Post

Old 07-16-2015, 06:39 PM

Liked 2,249 Times in 1,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petemacmahon View Post
As to the above quote - I just remarked the same in another post about a cracked 642. I've heard of many of them, but nary a 442.

I've had a 442 for probably 15 years or so, I've lost count. It has become my constant companion. It was one of the first run of +p certified air weights but does not have the +p marking. Right after I purchased it, I contacted S&W for that confirmation and they told some of the first batch did not get properly marked. I usually practice with light to normal 38 spl ammo. The only +ps that have ever been shot through it are my selected carry load - Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel Ammunition 38 Special +P 135 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point. Believe me, I dislike shooting them more than the gun does!

You can't go wrong with a 442!
The frames of the 442/642 are made from the same aluminum alloy, so I can't see one being more prone to cracking than the other. I've came across several mentions about cracked 442 frames although perhaps not as many 642's. I imagine that might be the case simply because the 642 is more popular, so there's a lot more of them out there.

S&W 442 airweight cracked frame