View Single Post

Old 07-17-2015, 02:52 AM
US Veteran

Liked 3,380 Times in 1,736 Posts

For my 45 autos I use the plunk test. Drop a unloaded but bullet seated long into the chamber. Then adjust col so that cartridge base is where I want it then make up a bunch of dummies and hand cycle to check on feeding and extraction. If ok then load cases with the Dillon dies set for that case and bullet combination. I couldn't tell you how many 45 acp cartridges I've loaded this way. no failures to feed or extract. Revolver cases get trimmed to the same length. This makes it way easier to get good crimps on the cannulures on the bullets. None of my pistol or revolver loads are at no where near maximum. Rifle cartridges same thing I prep the brass by uniforming the flash holes,primer pockets and trim all to the same length. Seating depth in my bolt action rifles will be done so as to get close to the origin of the rifling. Usually may take a few trips to the range to check accuracy. Again checking for feeding and extraction as well as accuracy. Cast bullets in my Finnish reworked model 27 moisin nagant rifle circa 1935 is done completely different. Trim cases, uniform primer pockets and flash holes. Slightly expany case necks with a lyman "M" die. Seat bullet and no crimp. Many years ago I got some 7/8"x14 tpi threaded rod which is the same size as most reloading dies. Drilled then reamed a short section (1.5") to make a shorty neck sizer for the one bullet I shoot in this rifle. This sizes the neck to hold that bullet without overworking the brass in fact only about .003-.004 max. I get 2" groups at 100 yds when my eyes can see the issue sights. Bullet is only going about 1600FPS so my main goal is accuracy. Frank