View Single Post

Old 07-17-2015, 03:30 AM

Liked 736 Times in 398 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by STORMINORMAN View Post
Thank you both for answering my query.

I guess my only question remaining would be why a published load (whether from a bullet, die or powder manufacturer) that includes a C.O.L. (thanks for the info, BTW!) and supposedly conforms to all the SAMMI specifications regarding diameter, case dimentions, primer hole size, etc. doesn't take the specific bullet's profile(?) into consideration?

Looking at the chamber for a 9mm Parabelum pistol: it is sized to accept the SAMMI spec ammo, is it not? There is what is probably the outline of a FMJ shown in the SAMMI diagram.

Why would the published load info not take bullet profile (if that is the correct term) into consideration vis-a-vis the suggested C.O.L.?
What makes you think the published load does not take the bullet's profile into consideration? Of course it does.

If you make a cartridge with the specific components and COL listed, and if the case is sized and dimensioned within SAAMI spec . . . it WILL chamber in any factory firearm that meets SAAMI specs for that caliber. However:

It may not feed in a specific semi-auto at that COL. The interior geometry of the mag, bolt, and/or feed ramp, and their relationship to the chamber and bullet profile may benefit from a different COL.

It may not fit in a magazine because the bullet's weight and profile force it to be seated at a COL longer than magazine length. But it will chamber in a SAAMI-spec firearm of that caliber.

It may or may not fit in a custom chamber.