View Single Post

Old 07-28-2015, 12:44 PM

Liked 403 Times in 164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboy98 View Post
Would someone take the time to post a detailed list of how to properly clean a revolver? Photos and name brands would be extra nice. I clean the same way I learned 40 years ago, and I wonder if I need to learn something new or different. Thanks in advance for any posts.
Paperboy98
You didn't state whether you're shooting lead or jacketed bullets in your revolver(s)? If you shoot lead, sooner or later you're going to run into a situation where you'll need/want to remove lead buildup in the forcing cone and/or chamber mouths. I won't get into the reasons behind the deposits, but in the real world they sometimes happen, so here's how to remove them easily:

1) Get yourself some Kroil and Chore Boy pure copper pot scrubbers (ACE Hardware carries Chore Boy).
2) Cut some of the chore boy and wrap it around a brass bore brush until it's a nice tight fit in the cylinders.
3) Soak the cylinder chambers and forcing cone in Kroil.
4) Run the brush/chore boy on a pistol cleaning rod chucked in a battery-powered drill, on a low speed setting. I run mine about 30 seconds in each cylinder chamber, slowly working it in and out at the mouth of the chambers.
5) Clean the cylinder chambers with a Kroil-soaked patch, and patch dry.
6) For the forcing cone, wrap the chore boy again for a nice tight fit.
7) Stroke back and forth maybe 20 times into and out of the forcing cone.
8) Clean the forcing cone and barrel with a Kroil-soaked patch, and patch dry.
9) You're done!

Lou