View Single Post

Old 08-10-2015, 08:53 AM

Liked 2,921 Times in 1,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralem View Post
.....when I called on it they said send it in......off it went. In about 2.5 weeks I had it back. There were no marks anywhere to indicate it was magnafluxed. Not really any paperwork to verify it had a clean bill of health except and an invoice type form that listed the gun info. and a line that said tested.

Roughly 1-2 years ago a forum member put me in touch with a 624 LNIB and prior to acquiring it I wanted confirmation it was not faulty. The box had the red C in a circle stamped on the end label which would suggest it passed a test but wanting definitive proof I inquired at S&W via e-mail. I received a reply and was given a phone number to call. I talked with a fairly knowledgeable person at S&W however they could not answer all my questions so they asked if I could wait on hold a few minutes and talk with "our historian, Roy Jinks." I transcribed the discussion with Mr. Jinks and basically the problem was NOT faulty metal but that some of the .44 special cylinders were bored to .44 Magnum. The test performed at S&W was simply to try a .44 Magnum cartridge in the chamber to be sure a .44 magnum cartridge did NOT fit into the .44 special cylinder. A .44 Magnum cartridge will fit nearly all the way into a .44 special chamber but there's about an 1/8" sticking out the rear and it prevents the cylinder from closing. In addition S&W did not keep a record of the serial #'s on those guns that were tested and "passed" and does not have a record of the serial #'s that are definitely a problem. Mr. Jinks inferred the problem was rare.

Given the feedback I have seen a number of times from members like morale I suspect the first hand story from Mr. Jinks makes way more sense than the second hand stories about poor quality stainless steel.

After the rumors, gossip, and innuendo ........ well, everything else is just a lie.

Last edited by g8rb8; 08-10-2015 at 08:56 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: