View Single Post

Old 08-18-2015, 01:48 PM

Liked 721 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichna View Post
At another forum I frequent, a poster made the claim that the Model 29 will develop mechanical issues upon extensive use of .44 mag ammunition. He further stated that .44 Special should be used, and .44 Mag only sparingly, and that the Model 29 issue with .44 Mag ammunition was well known and acknowledged at Smith & Wesson forum.

>>>Copyrighted Material Deleted<<<

I'm looking for feedback... either confirmation that this fellow's claims are true, or any information/evidence to the contrary.
You have to remember that it's lock work was designed way back in the late 1800s and still serves today's S&W revolvers (and are very popular) but, significant changes have taken place such as the Performance Package has renewed interest in them. I consider anything made after the Performance Package safe with all modern factory ammo? One advantage to the 29 family is their weight compared to say, Ruger Redhawks along with their undeniable accuracy and packablity. I think one reason for the rivalry is IMHS associations competitions where damaging heavy loads were the norm hence you have the Dan Wesson's, Ruger's and others with much beefed up action works to survive the constant shooting of much heavier loads?
In closing, I would remind you that Doug Wesson(in 1935) took most all big game on this continent with the then new .357 magnum way before the .44 magnum was a figure in the mind of S&W engineers. Don't sell either of them short!
Steve
Steve

Last edited by S.B.; 08-18-2015 at 01:53 PM.