View Single Post

Old 08-24-2015, 04:16 PM

Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts

God I love the "What gun do I use for Bear" threads. There are as many opinions ever. So I'll give my $.02 worth.

I went to Alaska (in June and July) with my wife and another couple. My wife didn't think she needed anything. The other couple brought one can of bear spray. Me? I carried either my 6" Redhawk .44 Magnum loaded with Garrett's 44 Mag +p Hammerhead Ammo 330-gr SuperHardCast Long Hammerhead at 1400-fps. I've used, and shot this load. Don't buy some of this ammo and expect to just load'er up and think you all set to go. Noooooo, get some and practice, and get comfortable with it, know it's power and recoil. Or, I carry my 6.5" Smith and Wesson 500 Magnum loaded with Buffalo Bore 440 gr. L.F.N.-G.C.(1,625fps/M.E.2579ft.lbs.). I never want to be in a position and think.....Geeee I should've brought a bigger gun. When you got the biggest you never have to wonder.

I carry the .44 on my hip, but the 500 I use a chest rig.

And, it's also nice when you do happen upon a Grizz as we did two times (two real nice hefty 9 - 9 1/2' footers). The other folks always looked at me and said "You got your gun, right?" Yeaaaah I got it.

After we'd get back I would always ask....So, you still think that Bear Spray is a good idea?

There were times and places I had the gun in HAND while walking/fishing. Most of time it was holstered. But remember, unless it's in your hand, you may get one shot off and it better count!!! You won't run into one in an open field and have the time in the world. You're going to run into them in the bush or by the river when you are distracted doing something else. Be aware of your surroundings and know what signs to look for. If your smart about Bears you are way ahead of the game..........sometimes.

So my recommendation is take a .44 with hot lead loads at the minimum.

And I'd only take a .357 if I was VERY proficient in my shot placement and was cool and collected with 1000lbs of angry coming at me.

Good luck.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: