View Single Post

Old 08-25-2015, 06:21 PM
US Veteran

Liked 13,381 Times in 4,625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groo01 View Post
Groo here
Take the one YOU feel the best shooting.
Both will do the job if you do yours.
Your not hunting, shots will be upclose and fast.
The weight diffeence will not be much different loaded.
I like Groo's coments. Both guns will do the job.

Quote:
Yeah... .357 would be fine on this guy...uh...maybe . JK
You said you're aware of 200 pound black bears. JK's monster bear would be an exception - you would need a rifle for that one.

Up close and fast you need a gun you can shoot well and handle quickly. I like the diea that you're not planning on .44 MAgnum rounds because up close and fast you need quick follow up shots and the .44 Specials will allow that as will the .357 Magnum rounds.

Last time I was in bear country I took a Ruger .357 Magnum, 4", Service Six. I practiced with it and was comfortable knowing I could shoot it well and quickly with .357 Magnum rounds. I know good and well that the speeds and accuracy I was getting would be impossible with .44 Magnum rounds.

Hunting is different. I probably wouldn't handgun hunt, it's not my thing, I like to rifle hunt, but a 6" .44 Magnum, scoped, yes, I can understand that. Or a .460 or a .500. But that's hunting. To get speed shots off accurately with those calibers you have to load them down. But that's basically what you're doing if you load .44 Specials into your .44 Magnum. Good choice.

Shhhhhh.......but the only reason I brought that Ruger with me was because I didn't want to put a 686+ on the plane. I'd not lose sleep over the loss of the Ruger and, as a matter of fact, I left it there for my next trip. YMMV always.

I love a bear thread!!!!!

Last edited by ISCS Yoda; 08-25-2015 at 06:27 PM.