View Single Post

Old 09-02-2015, 11:47 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 4,671 Times in 1,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo44 View Post
No, you misunderstand. It is a Baby Chief, Baby Chiefs are not pre models. The Model of 1953 Chiefs Specials are pre models.

'Pre model' clarification:
In collector 'verbal shorthand', the term Pre-Model came about as a way of differentiating between a gun that was stamped with a
model # and one made before # stamping began, but was otherwise the identical gun.

That tells the listener immediately that it's not a Baby J. It has to be a Model of 1953 .38 Chiefs Special. If you used the term
pre model for both a Baby J and a M1953, further conversation is then required to establish which version Chief Spl is really being discussed.

Check posts # 319 and 332 to see pre model 36s.
Jim, now I'm confused. I've been collecting J's for many a decade now. I have never seen a Chief Special referred to as "Model of 1953" but I have seen that phrase used to describe a .22 Kit Gun of that genre. I have referred to these as only "early" Chief Specials, even before the term "baby Chief" ever came to be. Then by front sight changes in the early runs, the first "half moon" type, then the non-serrated sloped sight, and finally the serrated sloped front sight. Also by the style of the flat latches.

I have seen a series of terms used, many times ... mistakenly, but with a few more questions can usually determine exactly what the person asking or seller is describing. e.g. same thing that most NON S&W guys might describe any large frame top break a Schofield. My blood boils when someone remains adamant that they have a Schofield that turns out to be anything BUT a Schofield, yet others persist in stating Schofield-type or style revolver when it is certainly NOT a Schofield type or style. It is a Model Number 3 of whatever precise type it is, e.g. Russian 1, 2, 3, (Old, Old old remember those names ?) American 1st, 2nd, New Model 3, etc.
Also a 1st Model .44 Double action is not a New Model 3 Double action.

It comes down to this: Among collectors, an early Chief Special is usually just that, the serial number telling all, except front sight type. The smaller size with the small trigger guard is nicknamed the Baby Chief, OK.

Is this same early Chief Special (baby Chief) classified in legitimate print anywhere as a "Model of 1953" or is it just a classification to quickly and accurately describe the exact frame type, collector to collector ?
The Following User Likes This Post: