View Single Post

Old 09-17-2015, 01:56 PM

Liked 79 Times in 19 Posts

I checked the mainspring tension screw, and it was tightened down all the way. I loosened it a little bit, and it lightened the trigger pull pretty quickly. Didn’t take much screw travel to lighten it considerably. I didn’t go very far with it. It seems to have lessened the problem. Now I can almost get a smooth pull every once and a while. The trigger pull weight seems about like the 2 66s I tried last night. But it still has the stacking at the front of the pull. However, because the pull is lighter, the effects are different. Now, it stacks, and the cylinder stops until I gradually force through it, and when it does force through, the cylinder will spin quickly straight to lock up, but I have enough control to no let the hammer fall. It’s still not completely gradual, like with those 66s, but at least it’s not banging the cylinder into lock really hard every time now, and the gun isn’t twisting in my hands. I could probably shoot it with some accuracy now.

Will shooting it help? I was planning to put about 250 rounds through it on Tuesday, 100 rounds of 125gr .357 magnum and 150 rounds of 158gr .38 spc, do you think I should do that and see if it smooths anything out, or just send it to Smith as soon as they give me a shipping label? I’m inclined to go shoot it first.

I checked some of the other things you guys suggested; there’s nothing under the ejector star. It seems to sit perfectly flush with the rest of the cylinder. I sincerely doubt that it has an aftermarket light mainspring. It should be brand new. If it’s not, I’ve been lied to. I bought it from a local brick and mortar gun shop.

I don’t want to open it up and attempt a trigger job on it. I’ve polished up parts in Rugers before, but I would only consider doing something like that myself if the goal was just to smooth it up. I don’t want to attempt to solve any problems, I’ll leave that to the pros. I was tempted to tear it open and look around last night, but resisted the temptation.

If I send it in, will it really take a couple of months to get it back? I busted my hump trying to find this thing. I’d be sorely tempted to just sell it and buy another GP100, as I don’t have a 3” yet, and Ruger just started making the compact grips for the GP100 again…

You guys deserve serious commendation for sharing your knowledge with people less knowledgeable. You have my utmost gratitude.