View Single Post

Old 09-17-2015, 09:55 PM
US Veteran

Liked 14,413 Times in 5,485 Posts

I use it quite often. The aerosol works fine and highly refined lubricants offer lubrication, BUT . . .

I clean my revolvers on a newspaper so I don't get oil on my work bench. I usually spray down the freshly cleaned metal with Barricade. It wets the newspaper and I sometimes leave the paper on the bench overnight. What surprises me is that the newspaper looks completely dry the next day. I feel that most aerosols contain highly volatile oils, which tend to evaporate. When I use heavier synthetic oils to wipe down guns, the oil stained newspaper shows oil staining for days and maybe weeks, so I only use light aerosols on guns that are shot the most and do not languish in my gun safe. I use heavier oil, and yes Mobil 1, to wipe down guns for storage.

Oil is oil, no matter how light or heavy weight you use, so everything that lubricates and protects metal has similar toxicological properties. Most are related to ecological issues, and few are of any great concern as to skin contact or minor inhalation issues. I know of no class action lawsuits for garage mechanics out there and believe me if there was money there, some law firm would have already been all over the issue.