View Single Post

Old 09-20-2015, 11:56 PM

Liked 1,461 Times in 257 Posts

The 39-2 is one of those AWESOME classic guns. Many parts for them can be had on Numrich (Google: Gun Parts and it will be the first result) and ebay.

My 39-2 is at Karl Sokol's farm and gunsmithy enjoying an extended vacation from SoCal. He will "modernize" it. I already sent the slide of to Chris McVety at Amerigun for a front 1911 Novak Tritium dovetailed sight and rear sight upgraded with a dim Meprolight Tritium revolver blade.

I bought several sets of used S&W Walnut panels. They were gotten from ebay and when received were immersed in Howard's for 3-4 days. The emblems were super-glued down, so they wouldn't spin (from the back of course) and treated to a spritzing-up with a Q-Tip of FLITZ. Makes them better than new. I sent them with the gun, so Karl can relieve the mag button cut out to interface with the Ed Brown oversized mag button.

The 39 is perhaps one of the best-built autos to come out of Springfield. I should say that the 39-2 is the best, as they worked out the bugs from the reverse barrel ramp of the 39. They fit the hand so damn well.

A quick aside is that I've taken the guts from the slightly longer 3906 9-shot magazines and put them into the 39 mag bodies. That makes the 39 a very trim 9+1 9mm that fits the hand. Hard to beat.

Lastly, get the slimmer 3rd Generation trigger and have a gunsmith (or tinkerer) install it. It makes for a better trigger pull with dispensing the VERY wide trigger.

Great thread!