View Single Post

Old 09-22-2015, 08:02 PM

Liked 436 Times in 201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Richard View Post
Bullseye is the basis and foundation of all shooting competitions, and the best learning platform. What you learn in Bullseye carries over to all other handgun sports. Sight picture, breath control, trigger pull, mental control, etc. I would start by contacting the local gun shops, usually there is someone there familiar with the area ranges and leagues, especially the shops that sell reloading supplies. Many large city ranges don't have leagues, and I don't know why. The more shooters you bring in the more products you can sell. I know, it takes someone willing to set it up, keep the scores, figures the handicaps (if a handicapped league), get the awards, prepare certificates, get NRA charters, etc, etc. I have run a local bullseye league at our local little pistol club every winter for 30 years, just retiring this last year, (but still shooting). It can be work. but it is rewarding. Contact your state shooting association, I'm sure they have a web site. Good luck, it's great fun. Of all the shooting I have done, PPC, IPSC, IHMSA, High Power Rifle, Small Bore Rifle, Trap & Skeet I still enjoy bullseye the most. Start with a .22 RF semi-auto (such as a S&W Mod 41) you can learn the most at a reasonable price.
As a thirty year Bullseye veteran I absolutely agree with everything H Richard just said. Learning the fundamentals of Bullseyes shooting is the answer to almost all forms of rim and center fire shooting with the exception of the shotgun sports. It's small club matches that incubate the best shooters in the country other than the military and that's their job.

Guys like H Richard are the backbone of the sport giving themselves to supporting the league and I'm sure helping along new shooters. You learn Bullseye and you end up with more than holes in a target. You learn trigger and sight management, stance, breathing and heart rate control and most of all handling nerves and pressure. Each one of these elements are the critical building blocks of real marksmanship. Then add the fact that you once you get decent you'll be forever hooked trying to improve your slow, timed or rapid fire. Plus the comradeship of the league players is always icing on the cake. Guys that often only see each other once a week come together like old friends, still want to win, but shootin buddies.

You can't go wrong looking for a club or range where you can join in Bullseye competition. I'm sure there must be clubs near you but even so I used to drive 50 miles one way every Wed night just to shoot 30 rounds of rimfire. Do it.