View Single Post

Old 09-24-2015, 01:52 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Smile Correct sight picture.

So I'm a relatively new shooter. I purchased a 9mm Shield at the beginning of the year and I've been going to the range regularly (once or twice a month). I've been watching numerous training videos such as Magpul Dynamics: Art of the Dynamic Handgun with Chris Costa and Travis Haley. I know that's not considered formal training, but hey, whatever works. The reason for my purchase was for self defense. I'm 23 years old and I am a pizza delivery driver and after hearing of a local robbery in which the driver actually fired her weapon and successfully neutralized the threat, I decided it was time for me to follow suit. I applied for and received my concealed carry permit and I've carried every day for the past 9 months. I also have a full size M&P 9mm on layaway. Anyway, there's some background information on me. In every single video, instructional article, thread post, magazine article, etc. I've read that the correct sight picture is front sight, front sight, front sight. Everything should be blurry except for that front sight. However, that does not work for me. I don't know why or how I started doing this, but I focus on the target. Everything is blurry except for the target. That's just the way my eyes see things. I've talked to and shot with my father-in-law who is a police officer and he says that whatever works for me that I should just keep doing what I'm doing. And it does work for me. I hit what I'm aiming for and I'm accurate. From all of the things I've learned about firearms, I've picked up the fact that pretty much everything is based on personal preference. I'm just wondering if that is one of those things that is personal preference or if it's cemented-in-concrete-law when it comes to shooting.