View Single Post

Old 09-24-2015, 08:48 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,354 Times in 620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayCow View Post
I believe departmental purchases may sign a contract that they cannot sell the guns which were purchased through this contract. I know glock can sell you bottom dollar without taxes.
If it happens it's an individual dept policy. It sure isn't the policy of gun manufacturers and most agencies. In my career while commanding R&D I dealt with S&W, Glock, H&K, Colt, and Remington. None of those companies have any such restrictions.
He said that dept let their officers keep their guns when they retire. That is very common with a lot of PDs. With my own agency we were allowed to buy our guns when we transitioned to new models and when we retired we were able to purchase our duty weapons. That is very common for a lot of places around the US.
Where do you think a lot of these PD guns in this very thread come from? Eventually the retiree is going to die. Surely no one thinks any dept is going to track down every retiree and try to find out which family member ended up with the retiree's gun. That's not even realistic to think that. A lot of depts have no idea where their retirees are after they leave the dept or whether they're alive or dead. Once the agency relinquishes ownership of the firearm they have no say over what happens to it. It's no longer theirs to say.

Last edited by ispcapt; 09-24-2015 at 08:54 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: