View Single Post

Old 09-28-2015, 09:46 AM

Liked 3,546 Times in 1,504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter123 View Post
Apparently some reading this don't understand the concept of Target Focused Shooting, so I'll clarify it a bit. In Target Focused Shooting you still align the sights on the handgun, the difference is that the focus of your vision is on the target.

By doing this you will see just one single target if shooting with both eyes open instead of the two images yielded when focusing on the front sight. Note, keep in mind the convergence of our eyesight and it's effect when reading this statement. If you concentrate when focusing on a front sight you will observe that there are two target images in your visual field when focusing on the front sight.

So, how do you align the sights when your vision is focused on the target. It's actually very simple but you do need to be using sights designed for high visibility. If you attempt Target Focused shooting with plain black sights you'll find that you can't see the sights distinctly enough but instead must use what I call Weapon Guided Point Shooting, which does have some advantages for close ranges. What you do is bring the sights into alignment between your dominant eye and then release the trigger when that happens.

Read that last statement again and read it carefully. Then you should realize the benefit of Target Focused Shooting. That benefit is in the rate of fire. With Target Focus you don't become hyper critical about sight alignment and you don't "chase" the front sight during recoil, you release the trigger as soon as the sighting is good enough. What is surprising is just how accurate you can become with Practice.

I've spent the past summer shooting my rifles and have been neglecting my handgun practice. Two weekends ago it really showed, because I was Low and Left for most of my hour. Yesterday I got rid of the Low & Lefts about 1/3 of the way through my hour and finished up with my 45 caliber SR1911 CMD shooting a .3 second split into 7 inches at 30 feet and not one single round missed the COM. With more practice I expect to be back to 5 inches and a split in the region of .25 seconds within a month.
You are shooting at 10 yards? Yeah, point shooting with practice will work at that distance as long as you have great trigger control. Focusing on the sights is required at greater distances. I'm not a fan of the current trend to ONLY shoot a handgun at close distances. You can get away with a lot of mistakes at closer distances, but longer distances will require a strict attention to sight alignment and trigger control. There is really nothing new under the sun when it comes to iron sighted handguns and accurate shooting. Scopes and red dots are another story.