View Single Post

Old 09-29-2015, 01:01 PM

Liked 2,249 Times in 1,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastoff View Post
I just read one of the links previously posted about the 5 lost secrets. That is a misnomer. I teach all of those except the crush grip. In fact, I'm opposed to the crush grip technique.

I have found that most students who try that grip and cross their thumbs, miss low. The article states that it will eliminate the possibility of "milking" the grip, but that's false. In my experience, it enhances that very thing. Here's why, you can't maintain the crush grip.

Try this, grip the gun as tightly as you possibly can. How long do you think you can hold it this way? A minute? Less? 10 seconds? The truth is that any distraction, no matter how small, will cause most people to relax that grip at least a little. Then, when the shot is necessary, they instinctively tighten the whole hand as they shoot because they are trying to crush the grip. This usually results in pulling the muzzle down dramatically.

Hey, if it's working for you, great. Continue doing it. However, like I said before, there is no one correct way and all have some issues. I choose to use the grip that is going to get me the best hits.
Context is key. Are we discussing merely "shooting" or developing skill at "fighting" with a gun? I'm approaching the issue from the perspective of defense/combat rather than range shooting or sporting competitions. There is a huge difference between them despite the frequently seen statements to the contrary. Everyone must start somewhere and develop base fundamental skills, but I think it prudent to build a foundation using techniques, acquiring skill and from a perspective in line with the ultimate goal.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/tra...or-a-gunfight/

WILSON DEFENSE JOURNAL: Lose of fine motor skill during critical defense incidents- Rob Pincus

Last edited by Mister X; 09-29-2015 at 04:29 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: