View Single Post

Old 09-30-2015, 12:52 PM

Liked 51 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otreb View Post
A target WC might do that, but there's plenty of examples where similar ballistics fail to do that, especially against the skull. Given my choices, I'd want more.
This today:

Police: Man continues driving after being shot twice in head | Fox News

I think people underestimate the structural integrity of the human skull, and in whole, underestimate the toughness of the species.

This whole wadcutter thing is interesting, and personally I wouldn't feel bad about a FULL POWER wadcutter load, or a +P one, etc....... but target loads and mouse guns are more likely to result in the above, and if that guy could drive a car, he could put up a fight, I'm guessing.

I'm willing to bet that the weapon used in the above instance sure isn't any sort of service caliber using defensive ammo.

.....and then, we have the stories of Mossad using the .22lr successfully against terrorists armed with AK47s and such......

I'm going to go ahead and say that you need specific training to ensure any handgun is going to work for you, and in some cases, caliber specific training might be in order.
I'm glad I explained about where the weaknesses of the cranial vault are to my wife, and how to exploit them in contact shots with her beretta, and showed her the "zipper technique".

In any case, I think expecting the .38 special target wadcutter to do what a +P defensive load, or even a full power wadcutter, will do is not realistic thinking.

ETA-
This is another reason I chose a .38 snubbie over one of the micro .380's. The ballistics of the .38 special may not be 9mm or .40, but for a small carry gun thats actually SMALL and easy to carry(for me), without being ridiculous to shoot with anything but light loads, the .38 special just shines. While the buffalo bore +p 158gr FBI load might be a bit much, the "standard" FBI load with its big(ish) slug,compared to even 9mm loads from short barrels, is plenty enough for me.

Last edited by Ramikrav; 09-30-2015 at 01:14 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: