View Single Post

Old 09-30-2015, 08:16 PM

Liked 17,102 Times in 6,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by potpot821 View Post
Say Rastoff, what do or how do you do it in that case?
An excellent question. The answer is, it depends.

For bulls-eye shooting, there's only one answer; use the glasses that allow you to see the front sight the best.

Defensive shooting doesn't allow the luxury of picking the correct lenses for the situation. You simply have to run with what you've got on. So, the question becomes, what level of accuracy is necessary?

At extremely close range, 3 yards or less, instinctive or point shooting is almost a necessity. If the bad guy is moving toward you at that distance, he'll be on you before you get the gun out. It may be worth it to create some space first and then present the gun.

At further distances, say 5 yards or more, I still use the front sight. In my case, I can't focus on the front sight without glasses. Even so, I'm still concentrating on the front sight. Yes, it's blurry, but I have the best chance of an accurate hit if I keep my concentration on the front sight.

In your case potpot821, it sounds like you're near sighted. Again, depending on the situation at hand, it might be worth it to just chuck the glasses and focus on the front sight. Even if the front sight isn't perfectly clear, concentrating on it elevates your chances of quality hits.

Focusing on the target usually means you're not using the sights at all. That drastically reduces the ability to aim. Remember, fast misses get you nothing. Slow hits are better than a miss, but you might get shot first. A balance must be achieved between speed and precision.

Regardless, I recommend concentrating on the front sight. Some will disagree with me. Meh, the target at the range doesn't lie. So, get out there and practice and see what works for you. Get a timer and put yourself under some pressure.