View Single Post

Old 10-04-2015, 11:00 AM

Liked 2,249 Times in 1,032 Posts

I'm in the camp that a handgun will cover all my concealed carry and home defense needs. I no longer even own an long-gun having sold off my AR and 870 awhile back. I can see the validity of using a long-gun if you have taken up a fixed location or have substantial lead time, but even then the need to go mobile or needing a free hand remains a strong possibility. Plus, most people do not keep their long-guns in a ready condition and there is a good chance there won't be ample time to make it ready and the situational stress of a home invasion coupled with compressed time frames make handling mistakes more likely. I like the idea of layers of protection as a deterrent and to gain valuable time. A security system, lighting and quality reinforced doors and windows go a long way in keeping you and your family safe. Your particular circumstances must be considered to help determine your individual plan and what weapons are the best fit.

Michael Janich validating the carry at home/small handgun idea...Concealed Carry Tactics to Neutralize a Home Invasion

Massad Ayoob gives his advice on the topic... The Massad Ayoob Chronicles, Part V - The Truth About Guns

David Kenik of Armed Response gives his take on long-gun or handgun in the home... Armed Response - Tips for the Armed Citizen: Long gun or pistol in the home?

Chris Costa of Magpul fame...

Last edited by Mister X; 10-04-2015 at 11:07 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: