View Single Post

Old 10-09-2015, 11:25 PM

Liked 17,102 Times in 6,271 Posts

Yes, they are diminishing just like any true art form.

A long time ago, all guns required the services of a skilled smith. Many parts had to be hand fitted or the gun wouldn't work. Even the loose fitting and rattly guns like the original 1911, needed some hand fitting.

Time marches on and manufacturing processes improve. Now there are many guns made that need little to no hand fitting at all. This speeds manufacturing and increases reliability. Unfortunately, the cost of that is a loss of care in the assembly process.

What's worse is the gun owners. Because we have become used to things that need little maintenance, we aren't used to paying for quality work. I hear guys complain all the time about the cost of gun smith services or anything to do with guns. They think a rate of $65/hr is outlandish. Because of this, a gun smith cannot make a living as a smith anymore. Thus only the retired and hobbyist are smiths any more.

Many that call themselves gun smiths are really just glorified armorers. I can do a better job than they can. One smith I know of charges $35/gun for a cleaning and takes more than a month to accomplish it. That's horrible service in my book.