View Single Post

Old 10-21-2015, 09:40 AM

Liked 2,626 Times in 1,141 Posts

A lot of manufacturers of .22LR semi-autos and 1911 conversion kits recommend MiniMags. Another round that works as well is Federal's 38-grain copper-plated hollow-point cartridge (their load #712). All of my .22LR bolt-action rifles like it just a little better than the MiniMags.

I shot 50 rounds of each over my chronograph at 50 yards with a Remington Model 541-T with a sporter-weight barrel. The Federal shells shot into a slightly tighter group and had a little less variation in muzzle velocity, which should lead to more consistent cycling of a semi-auto action.

I also experience zero malfunctions with Federal's Champion 36-grain copper-plated hollow-points. They come in a nitrogen-sealed "Fresh Fire Pack" can of 325 rounds for something like $26 and for a bulk-packed shell, shoot very well.

Aside from the occasional frame crack reports, I don't get the bad-mouthing of the 22A. Several competitive league shooters have handled and shot mine and aside from a little trigger work, they felt it could do well in league shooting against much more costly pistols.

Ed