View Single Post

Old 10-23-2015, 02:10 PM

Liked 1,134 Times in 521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD View Post
It really all depends on what finish you are stating with. Unless the finish is bead blasted or polished I’ve used 3-M 07448 GRAY FINE GRIT, and 07445 WHITE VERY FINE GRIT SCOTCH BRITE SCUFF PADS with great success. Deeper scratches can be easily removed with heavier grit RED or GREEN SCUFF PADS if necessary and then those scratches blended with the other pads. With a little patience and practice you will be able to match the surrounding areas perfectly. I found the gray and white scuff pads I was looking for at Grainger Industrial Supply.
For stainless guns -- The gray and white ScotchbriteŽ pads are available at NAPA stores -- they are apparently used when priming and painting cars. Not expensive.

But caution -- don't use the green pads found in grocery stores, Wal-Mart, etc. Far too coarse.

I've used Flitz (in a tube) with good results after using the ScotchbriteŽ pads -- but you have to be careful about how much you use it, or you will soon have a very shiny (mirror-like) surface that is not really like the original S&W "tumbled" stainless look.

Last edited by S&W Rover; 10-23-2015 at 10:15 PM.