View Single Post

Old 11-04-2015, 03:47 AM

Liked 310 Times in 190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsman22 View Post
Yes I have thought about the M1 Carbine and as a matter of fact it was the first gun I considered, but the prices for a good one are ...well a little bit out of my range at this point in time.
Actually, you didn't mention the PC9. Several posters with far more experience than I with lever guns have posted, so defer to them on operating them. Kel-Tec is claiming they will release M&P magazine compatible Sub-2000's next year, but they don't really offer anything other than folding. Ruger offered a semi-auto .44 carbine (10/22 on steroids) and the 96/44 (a lever action 10/22 on steroids.) The Marlin Camp 9 and 45 are also potential candidates.

Most of the alternatives that are coming to my mind are evil black rifle-ish, shotgun-ish, and/or expensive. I'm not much help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckford View Post
The .357 Magnum is a great choice if one wants a pistol caliber carbine for self defense. On average, the 18 inch barrel doubles the power of .38 special and .357 magnum rounds, ....
Kinetic energy is not a valid method of assessing wound ballistics. With that kind of velocity gain I'd be concerned that bullets developed for pistols would be over-driven and fail.

DocGKR posted a couple of interesting things worth reading in this context:
.44 Magnum General Purpose Loads
Home Defense Long Guns